In this video, chef Shannon Overmiller of the Majestic demonstrates how to achieve that perfect silky texture and taste.
Cutting and cooking whipped potatoes
- 6 peeled Yukon Gold potatoes - a good waxy potato, cut into uniform chunks.
- Always use cold water, just enough to cover the potatoes, seasoned until it tastes like the sea.
- Once the water boils lower it to a simmer.
- The potatoes are ready once they yield to a fork -- should take 15-20 minutes.
How to finish whipped potatoes
- Drain potatoes in a colander.
- Pass the potatoes through a ricer.
- Return the riced potatoes to a pan (to dry them out) until no more steam is escaping.
- Add butter, heavy cream, salt, pepper, nutmeg -- be generous with the salt.
- Fold the mixture together off the heat.
These videos are part of a series in which chef Shannon Overmiller demonstrates how to make the Majestic's homestyle meatloaf and its fried green tomatoes dish.
Follow The Majestic on Twitter and Facebook.